Training is taken seriously. Development of skill
in the Southern Mantis systems demands dedication and commitment. To
foster a class atmosphere that will help everyone get the most out
of their involvement with the school, Sifu asks that the following
guidelines be observed:
1. Arrive a little early to training. Classes start promptly and it
is disruptive to Sifu and your fellow students to arrive once the class
has started. Everyone gets held up from time to time- just don't make
a habit of it.
2. Turn mobile phones off during class.
3. Never touch any of the weapons unless invited by Sifu or a senior
4. There is time to talk with other students after class. Be polite
and friendly but remember that people are there to train.
5. Always refer to Paul Whitrod as "Sifu". Throughout years
of training he has earned this honour.
6. Listen to Sifu or Sihing (senior students). Don't make excuses or
be disrespectful when a senior is explaining a technique- stop training
and try to understand what they're trying to help you with.
7. Concentrate on your own training. Try not to breed the spirit of
competition with fellow students - the real challenge lies within yourself.
8. Swearing and joking are in-appropriate while in class.